RADIATION & OUR MOBILE
Mobile phones use radio waves which belongs to EM spectrum. They are low-powered radio frequency transmitters, operating at frequencies between 450 and 2700 MHz with peak powers in the range of 0.1 to 2 watts.
The influence caused by this EM radiation on our body is expressed in terms of Specific Absorption Rate(SAR)- the rate of radio frequency energy absorption per unit mass of the body.
for eg: The maximum allowed SAR rate of mobile phones sold in united states is 1.6 Watts/Kg.
TEXT MESSAGING & its RADIATION EFFECTS
BLUETOOTH & RADIATION EFFECTS
Bluetooth technology uses low frequency radio waves. Because of this some worry that Bluetooth radiation could cause health problems. The Bluetooth signal at 1 milliwatt is extremely low, compared to some cell phones, which may emit up to 2 watts. The signal is also transmitted throughout a space and not in a single, powerful beam.Therefore bluetooth radiation is not considered to have significant radiation effects.
SOME TIPS FOR USING MOBILE PHONES SAFELY
- Purchase mobile phones having less SAR rating(SAR rating should be less than 2W/kg ).Top brand companies will usually specify SAR rating of phones in their websites.
- Dual sim mobile phones will have more radiation effects than single sim phones. So dual sim phone users must use wired headsets compulsorily .
- for long duration calls use wired headsets or use loud speakers. If these things are not possible use phone by shift between ears at intervals.
- Keep mobile phones away from your body whenever possible.
- if you are using Bluetooth headset, keep mobile phones away from your body.
- Don’t keep mobile phones under pillows during sleeping. even though we are not working with mobiles phones it has radiation in switched on status.
- if signal is weak mobile phones will emit more EM radiation.so avoid using mobile phones at places where signal is weak.
- Use text messages instead of voice calls to communicate whenever possible.
- Keep mobile phones near ears only after attending the call and during outgoing calls do the same only after the call is attended by the receiver. This is because the radiation level will high during time when call is getting connected.
- Hold the phone without covering its backside to avoid weakening of signals which finally result in increased radiation.